Wright Goodhue of Boston, 1928
A Memorial and Thanksgiving For All the Saints Who From Their Labors Rest
Over the High Altar
This window follows Jesus from the Last Supper to the Ascension.
• The Last Supper (lower segments, crossing all three panels): Take and eat for this is my body; Drink ye all of this for this is my blood; which shall be shed for the remission of sins (Matthew 26:26-28).
• The Agony in the Garden (lower left above Last Supper): There appeared an angel from heaven (Luke 22:43).
• Before Pilate (lower right above Last Supper): I am innocent of his blood (Matthew 27:24).
• Crowning with Thorns (middle left): They put a crown of thorns upon his head (Mark 15:17).
• Bearing the Cross (middle right): They forced Simon to carry his cross (Matthew 29:32).
• The Crucifixion (center panel): Behold thy Mother; Behold thy Son (John 19:23-27)
• The Descent into Hades (top of right panel): (I Peter 3:18-20).
• The Resurrection (top of left panel): (Matthew 27:62-65 and 28:1-6).
• The Ascension (rose at top): He was taken up to heaven sitting on the right of God from there he shall judge the living and the dead (Acts 1:9-12).
• The Gospel Writers (petals of rose clockwise from upper right): symbols of Mark (lion), Matthew (winged man), Luke (winged ox) and John (eagle). The lowest petal shows a peacock.
• Triangles (left): pelican; (right): Lamb of God
Souls in prison
Symbols from top:
Winged man: Matthew
Winged lion: Mark
Winged ox: Luke
The Lamb of God: Jesus
The tri-radiant halo
The sun and moon
Three nails: Cross
Hammer and pincers: Crucifixion
Poisoned chalice: Judas
Dollar mark on moneybag in cock’s beak: Betrayal
Two pitchers: water and wine