Reynolds, Francis & Rhonstock, 1957
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Jacob Cecil Hales and Martha Stanton Hales
Given by Georgia Hales Goodson
South wall of nave
Six parts from bottom to top:
1. (Small circle) The Ark of the Covenant, a chest containing the two tablets of the Ten Commandments given by God to Moses. Two cherubim sit on the lid of the gold-plated acacia Ark (Exodus 25:10-22, 37:1-9).
2. “Moses Receives the Law” (Exodus 31:18). On the left, Moses breaks the tablets of the law in anger; on the right Israelites dance before the altar and the golden calf (Exodus 32:19).
3. (Small circle) The spies bring back pomegranates and figs as evidence of the good land of Canaan (Numbers 13:23).
4. “The Spies Return” from Canaan with grapes and other fruit (Numbers 13:21-33).
5. (Small circle) Samson smites the Philistines with the jawbone of an ass (Judges 15:14-17).
6. “Samson’s Revenge” (Judges 16:15-31). Samson brings down the pillars of the house, killing the Philistines and himself. On the left, Samson wrestles with a lion (Judges 14:5-6); on the right, Delilah cuts Samson’s hair. At the top, the hand of God.